Battery Swapping Stations- A Viable Option for Faster Adoption of EVs in India
Total electrification of road transport has its own major constraints. The industry struggles to reduce the plug-in charging times and impact on the grid of battery-powered electric vehicles. Battery swapping is one of the best concepts to overcome the constraints where Vehicles swap low state charge batteries for charged ones at Battery Swapping Stations (BSS). A Battery Swapping Stations (BSS) is a charging place/fuelling station equipped with number of standards and certified charging units and battery swapping robots. A BSS has a certain amount of battery inventory of fully charged batteries of different sizes and types thus providing a faster and intermediate service to the customer looking for recharging their batteries. This paper studies the challenges and opportunities for the use of BSS in India.
- IEA. Global EV Outlook 2020, IEA, Paris; 2020. Available from: https://www.iea.org/reports/global-ev-outlook-2020
- White Paper on Electric Vehicles, Adopting Pure Electric Vehicles: Key Policy Enablers, Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM); 2017.
- Ahmad F, Alam MS, Alsaidan IS, Shariff SM. Battery swapping station for electric vehicles: Opportunities and challenges. IET Smart Grid. 2020; 3:280-6. https://doi. org/10.1049/iet-stg.2019.0059 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-stg.2019.0059
- Kumar K, Jeykishan. India’s EV charging infrastructure-an overview. Electrical India Magazine; 2019.
- Jeykishan KK, Kumar SR, Nandakumar VS. Standards for electric vehicle charging stations in India: A review. Energy Storage. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1002/est2.261 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/est2.261
- Discussion paper, Best practices in electric mobility, United National Industrial Development Organization, Vienna; 2019
- Bobanac V, Pandzic H, Capuder T. Survey on electric vehicles and battery swapping stations: Expectations of existing and future EV owners. 2018 IEEE International Energy Conference (ENERGYCON); 2018. p. 1-6. https://doi. org/10.1109/ENERGYCON.2018.8398793 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ENERGYCON.2018.8398793
- Wu S, Xu Q, Li Q, Yuan X, Chen B. An optimal charging strategy for PV-based battery swapping stations in a DC distribution system. Int J Photoenergy. 2017; 2017:1-11. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/1504857 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/1504857
- Sarker MR, Pandžić H, Ortega-Vazquez MA. Electric vehicle battery swapping station: Business case and optimization model. 2013 International Conference on Connected Vehicles and Expo (ICCVE); 2013. p. 289-294. https://doi. org/10.1109/ICCVE.2013.6799808 PMid:23740660 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCVE.2013.6799808
- Zheng Y, Dong ZY, Xu Y, Meng K, Zhao JH, Qiu J. Electric vehicle battery charging/swap stations in distribution systems: comparison study and optimal planning. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 2014; 29(1):221-9. https:// doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2013.2278852 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2013.2278852
- Liu X, Zhao T, Yao S, Soh CB, Wang P. Distributed operation management of battery swapping-charging systems. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. 2019; 10(5):5320-33. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2018.2880449 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2018.2880449
- Ban M, Yu J, Shahidehpour M, Guo D, Yao Y. Electric vehicle battery swapping-charging system in power generation scheduling for managing ambient air quality and human health conditions. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. 2019; 10(6):6812-25. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2019.2911868 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2019.2911868
- Shalaby AA, Shaaban MF, Mokhtar M, Zeineldin HH, El-Saadany EF. A dynamic optimal battery swapping mechanism for electric vehicles using an LSTM-based rolling horizon approach. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems. 2022; 23(9):15218-32. https://doi. org/10.1109/TITS.2021.3138892 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TITS.2021.3138892
- Wu H. A survey of battery swapping stations for electric vehicles: Operation modes and decision scenarios. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems. 2022; 23(8):10163-85. https://doi.org/10.1109/ TITS.2021.3125861 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TITS.2021.3125861