Stability Analysis of Microgrid with Load Shedding Scheme using RTDS
A microgrid system was simulated using the powerful RTDS simulator, the modelling was done on the RSCAD software, and the microgrid comprised of a diesel generator, a photovoltaic (PV) system and a Doubly-Fed Induction Generator (DFIG) wind turbine system as DERs. The paper comprises the study on stability analysis of the microgrid in grid-connected and islanded modes of operation, along with a successful load shedding scheme which was implemented based on the loads distinguished as low priority and high priority loads in order to keep the system balanced during faults.
- Prabaksorn T, Naayagi RT, Lee SS. Modelling and simulation of microgrid in grid-connected mode and islanded mode. 2nd International Conference on Electrical, Control and Instrumentation Engineering (ICECIE); 2020. p. 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICECIE50279.2020.9309649 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICECIE50279.2020.9309649
- Chowdhury S, Chowdhury S, Crossley P. Microgrids and active distribution networks. London: The Institution of Energy and Technology; 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/PBRN006E DOI: https://doi.org/10.1049/PBRN006E
- Ganjian-Aboukheili M, Shahabi M, Shafiee Q, Guerrero JM. Seamless transition of microgrids operation from grid-connected to islanded mode. IEEE Trans Smart Grid. 2020; 11(3):2106-2114. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2019.2947651 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2019.2947651
- Reddy GVS, Sekhar KSR, Chaudhari MA. Seamless transition of grid-connected and islanded modes in AC microgrid. IEEE First International Conference on Smart Technologies for Power, Energy and Control (STPEC); 2020. p. 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1109/STPEC49749.2020.9297697 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/STPEC49749.2020.9297697
- Kundur P. Power system stability and control. New York: McGraw- Hill; 1994.
- Gao H, Chen Y, Xu Y, Liu C-C. Dynamic load shedding for an islanded microgrid with limited generation resources. IET Gener Transm Distrib. 2016;10(12):2953-61. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2015.1452 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2015.1452
- Karimi M, Wall P, Mokhlis H, Terzija V. A new centralized adaptive under frequency load shedding controller for microgrids based on a distribution state estimator. IEEE Trans power deliv. 2017; 32(1):370-80. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2016.2594866 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2016.2594866
- Guillaud X, et al. Applications of real-time simulation technologies in power and energy systems. IEEE Power Energy Technol.Syst J. 2015; 2(3):103-15. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPETS.2015.2445296 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/JPETS.2015.2445296
- Noureen SS, Roy V, Bayne SB. An overall study of a realtime simulator and application of RT-LAB using MATLAB simpowersystems. IEEE Green Energy and Smart Systems Conference (IGESSC); 2017. p. 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1109/IGESC.2017.8283453 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/IGESC.2017.8283453
- Peralta J, Saad H, Dennetiere S, Mahseredjian J. Dynamic performance of average-value models for multi-terminal VSC-HVDC systems. Power and Energy Society General Meeting. IEEE, San Diego, CA; 2012 Jul 22-26. https://doi.org/10.1109/PESGM.2012.6345610
- Ramabhotla S, Bayne SB. Modeling of energy sources in microgrid using RSCAD/RTDS. American Journal of Advanced Research. 2019; 3(2):7-19.
- Peralta J, Saad H, Dennetiere S, Mahseredjian J. Dynamic performance of average-value models for multi-terminal VSC-HVDC systems. Power and Energy Society General Meeting. 2012 IEEE, San Diego, CA; 2012 Jul 22-26. https://doi.org/10.1109/PESGM.2012.6345610 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/PESGM.2012.6345610
- R. Technologies. RTDS Manuals and Documentation. Winnipeg; 2009. Available from: www.rtds.com.
- Iracheta-Cortez R, Flores-Guzman N. Developing automated hardware-in-the-loop tests with RTDS for verifying the protective relay performance. IEEE 36th Central American and Panama Convention (CONCAPAN XXXVI); 2016. p. 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1109/ CONCAPAN.2016.7942388 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/CONCAPAN.2016.7942388