Short Circuit Testing of Cables: HPL Experience
Cables form the backbone of modern power transmission and distribution systems. Even though, short circuit faults are more common with overhead transmission lines than with underground cables, the thermal and dynamic stress associated with short circuit make it a mandatory withstand requirement. High Power Laboratory has been regularly carrying out short circuit tests on LT and HT cables. This paper presents an overview of the tests carried out and their results.
- Calculation of thermally permissible short-circuit currents, taking into account non-adiabatic heating effects, IEC 60949:1988/AMD1:2008.
- Donazzi F, Gaspari R, Cauzillo BA, Lagostena L, Bosotti O, Mosca W. Research on the performance of 400 kV extruded cable system under short circuit conditions. CIGRE; 1996, Paper 21-205.
- Booth AW, Hanekom A. Fixing arrangements and accessories for flexibly installed HV cable systems in underground cable tunnels. CIGRE; 2010. Paper B1-118.
- A guide for rating calculations of insulated cables. CIGRE Technical Brochure 640; 2015 Dec.
- Crosslinked polyethylene insulated thermoplastic sheathed cables -specification, Indian standard. IS 7098 (Part 2); 2011.