Short Circuit Modelling and Analysis of PV Inverters in Large Solar Farms
The short circuit behavior of solar farms are different from conventional generating stations. These generating resources are
static in nature and have a rich power electronic interface with a grid, limiting these solar farms’ short circuit capabilities.
The solar inverter voltage versus short circuit current characteristics is modeled to supply the fault current within inverter
designed ratings. In this research paper, a large number of solar power investors are grouped to pool their power into the
grid. Short circuit studies are carried out for a 500 MW solar farm with string inverters rating of 3125 kW per IEC 60909.
The protective relaying coordination is performed as per IEEE C37.90 and IEC 60255-1 relaying standard.
- Eltawil MA, Zhao Z. Grid-connected photovoltaic power systems: Technical and potential problems-A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2010; 14(1). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2009.07.015
- Khattijit N, Oranpiroj K, Muangjai W. The evaluation of short circuit current to achieve optimal design and protection for elements in power network with renewable energy. 2018 International Electrical Engineering Congress (iEECON); 2018. https://doi.org/10.1109/IEECON.2018.8712280
- Varma RK. Impacts of high penetration of solar PV systems and smart inverter developments. Smart Solar PV Inverters with Advanced Grid Support Functionalities, IEEE; 2022. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119214236
- Srujan D, Ghanasyam P, Mitra A. An improved fault ridethrough of grid integrated solar PV system. 2019 IEEE Region 10 Symposium (TENSYMP); 2019. https://doi.org/10.1109/TENSYMP46218.2019.8971242
- Sherkar S, Pamu S, Mitra A. Assessing the impacts of integration of Solar PV on transient stability of the power system using a sensitivity based index. 2019 8th International Conference on Power Systems (ICPS); 2019. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICPS48983.2019.9067593
- Impram S, Nese SV, Oral B. Challenges of renewable energy penetration on power system flexibility: A survey. Energy Strategy Reviews. 2020; 31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esr.2020.100539
- Zhang Y, Zhu S, Sparks R, Green I. Impacts of solar PV generators on power system stability and voltage performance. 2012 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting; 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/PESGM.2012.6344990
- Emmanuel M, Doubleday K, Cakir B, Marković M, Hodge B-M. A review of power system planning and operational models for flexibility assessment in high solar energy penetration scenarios. Solar Energy. 2020; 210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2020.07.017
- Kim I, Harley RG. The transient-state effect of the reactive power control of photovoltaic systems on a distribution network. International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems. 2018; 99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2018.01.015
- Singh M. Relay coordination algorithm with limits on minimum operating time of customized time inverse relays characteristics. 2021 9th IEEE International Conference on Power Systems (ICPS); 2021. https://doi.org/10.1109/ ICPS52420.2021.9670016
- Telukunta V, Pradhan J, Agrawal A, Singh M, Srivani SG. Protection challenges under bulk penetration of renewable energy resources in power systems: A review. CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems. 2017; 3(4):365–79. https:// doi.org/10.17775/CSEEJPES.2017.00030
- Singh M, Panigrahi BK, Abhyankar AR. Optimal overcurrent relay coordination in distribution system. 2011 International Conference on Energy, Automation and Signal; 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICEAS.2011.6147214
- Sookrod P, Wirasanti P. Overcurrent relay coordination tool for radial distribution systems with distributed generation. 2018 5th International Conference on Electrical and Electronic Engineering (ICEEE); 2018. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICEEE2.2018.8391292
- Hasan KN, Preece R, Milanović JV. Existing approaches and trends in uncertainty modelling and probabilistic stability analysis of power systems with renewable generation. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2019; 101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2018.10.027