Earthing system is an essential part of electrical installation as it helps in eliminating electrical shock hazards and also provide zero voltage reference point for the equipment. Design of an earthing system involves, measurement of soil resistivity of the proposed site for the electrode system installation & determining the conductor type & required number of earth electrodes in order to achieve earth resistance value. This paper describes the methodology followed in design and validation of a plate electrode earthing system for the equipment earthing in a new test laboratory, which had an earth resistance requirement of less than 1 Ohm as mandated by the equipment supplier. This will be helpful for personnel involved in the design of earthing system.
- IS 3043. Code of practice for earthing. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi; 2018.
- IEEE Std.80. IEEE guide for safety in ac substation grounding; 2013.
- IEEE Std.81. IEEE guide for measuring earth resistivity, ground impedance, and earth surface potentials of a ground system; 2012.
- Wenner F C. A method of measuring earth resistivity. U.S. Bureau of Standards, Scientific Paper 258; 1915. p. 469-78. https://doi.org/10.6028/bulletin.282
- IS 3043. Code of practice for earthing. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi; 1987.