Study on Steep Front Impulse Test Voltage Value of Disc Insulators with Variation in the Number of Units of Insulator String
The insulators used in power transmission and distribution networks should withstand abnormal system-generated switching impulses and natural lightning impulses. To avoid the failure of insulators in the field, the impulse puncture strength evaluation of the ceramic insulators is important. IEC 61211 standard stipulates the procedure to evaluate the ceramic disc insulators’ strength to withstand steep front impulses. In this test, the test voltage is determined by using a short standard string of five insulators. This paper presents the variation in the impulse stresses across the disc insulator units in the string due to non-linear voltage distribution under impulse flashover. This paper also correlates the test voltage values defined by the IEC standard with the highest stress on insulator units under impulse flashover of string insulators by using voltage distribution. The correlation study has been carried out with insulator strings having different arcing distances by using a different number of units.
- Looms JST. Insulators for high voltages. Peter Pergrines Lts; 1988. ISBN 0-86341-116-9. https://doi.org/10.1049/ PBPO007E
- Rawat A. Gorur RS. Microstructure-based evaluation of field aged and new porcelain suspension insulators. IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation. 2009; 16(1). https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2009.4784557 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2009.4784557
- Marimuthu K, Vynatheya S, Vasudev N, Raja P. Quality analysis of ceramic insulators under steep front impulse voltage. IEEE- 20th National Power System Conference; 2018 Dec. https://doi.org/10.1109/NPSC.2018.8771717 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/NPSC.2018.8771717
- A report of CIGRE Task Force 33.07.01 - Puncture testing of ceramic and glass insulators.
- Gorur RS, Cherney EA, Burnham JT. Outdoor Insulators. Phoenix, Arizona: Ravi S. Gorur, Inc; 1999.
- IEC 61211: 2004, Insulators of ceramic material or glass for overhead lines with a nominal voltage greater than 1000 V- Impulse puncture testing in air; 2004.
- Kuffel E, Zaengl WS, Kuffel J. High voltage engineering: Fundamentals. 2nd ed. Newnes; 2000 Aug.
- IEC 60071-1. Insulation co-ordination- Part 1: Definitions, principles and rules. 8th ed; 2006 Jan.
- IEC 60071-2. Insulation co-ordination- Part 2: Application Guide. 3rd ed; 1996 Dec.
- IEC 60060-1. High-voltage test techniques- Part 1: General definitions and test requirements, 3rd ed; 2010 Sep.
- Gorur RS, Cherney EA, Burnham JT. Outdoor insulators. Phoenix, Arizona: Ravi S. Gorur, Inc; 1999.
- Kontargyri VT, Gonos IF, Stathopoulos, Michaelides M. Measurement and verification of the voltage distribution on high voltage insulators. 12th Biennial IEEE Conference on Electromagnetic Field Computation; 2006, pp. 326-32.