The distribution Transformer acts an important function in the electrical distribution network. Failure of the transformer ends in an outage of power supply to end users. Failure of the distribution transformer usually results in the spare time of some weeks transformer accompanied by commercial misfortunes and the necessity to fix the system at the earliest. The prime reason for the outage of distribution transformers is a short circuit, insulation breakdown, and prolonged overloading. This paper investigates failure analysis of distribution transformers during separate source voltage withstand tests, induced over-voltage withstand tests and short circuit withstand strength tests. In this paper failure cases of three distribution transformers are resolved and the results are analyzed.
- Prabakaran T, et al. Analysis of the failure modes of the Distribution transformer during short circuit testing- A CPRI Experience. TRANSCON; 2017.
- Prabakaran T, et al. Dielectric Failure failure analysis of Distribution distribution Transformer. NCHVET; 2021.
- Prabakaran T, et al. Failure modes of the Transformer transformer during short circuit withstand testing. CIGRE International Colloquium SCA2; 2019.
- IEC standard 60076-3: Power Transformers - Part 3: Insulation levels, dielectric tests and external clearances in the air; 2013.
- Chennu RMR, et al. Transformer short circuit withstand testing and its failure analysis. TRANSCON; 2017.