Failure Analysis of OLTC during Transition Resistor Test
Emerging modern technologies and ever-changing demands compete with each other to bring new changes to the sociotechnical life of human beings. OLTC is one such equipment connected as an integral part of the transformer to change the turns ratio while the transformer is in energized condition, to adjust the output voltage. Changing times and technology brought many changes in the OLTC techniques, design and operation. Traditionally OLTC is a complex mechanical device, which has some deficiencies. OLTC design elements are checked during the transition resistor test. Thus, OLTC testing for transition resistors is a method to enhance the reliability of OLTC design. This paper discusses a typical failure case of OLTC during the transition resistor test conducted in CPRI.
- IEC standard 60214- 1: Tap changers Part 1: Performance requirements and test methods; 2014.
- Redfern MA, Handley WRC. Duty based maintenance for on-load transformer tap changers. IEEE; 2001. p. 1824-29. https://doi.org/10.1109/PESS.2001.970355 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/PESS.2001.970355
- Gao D. A new scheme for on-load tap changer of transformer. IEEE; 2002. p. 1016-20.
- Martins HJA, et al. Failures/Solutions in on load tap changer, 145kV. IEEE. 1998. p. 43-48.
- Govindappa BV. Recent trends in on-load tap changer technology- A study. Tutorial on- On load tap changer as per IS & IEC standards; 2011. p. 97-118.
- Pathak S. Switching test On-Load Tap Changer (OLTC). Tutorial on- On load tap changer as per IS & IEC standards; 2011. p. 69-96.
- Rogers DJ, Green TC. A hybrid diverter design for distribution level on-load tap changers. IEEE; 2010. p. 1493-1500. https://doi.org/10.1109/ECCE.2010.5618245 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ECCE.2010.5618245