The periodic testing and validation of grid recovery procedures are mandated by The Indian Electricity Grid Code (IEGC)
20105, which includes Black start procedure for total/partial blackouts and re-synchronization of Island and this procedures
needs to practiced at-least twice a year. Black Start mock drills are carried out to learn the behavior of the system while
recovering from total/partial blackouts and from such mock drills the engineers will be able to figure out the challenges
and responses of the equipment’s at different stages of the procedure. Pench Hydro Power Station is the only Hydro Power
Station available nearby and there is no gas generation available in the vicinity of Nagpur district of Maharashtra, India.
And Thermal generation available around area is 10000 MW. This paper is the experience about carrying out black start
mock drill for 220 kV Khaparkheda Thermal power station from Pench Hydro Power Station and synchronizing of Small
Island with national grid created during the mock drill.
- Mukhopadhyay P, Pandey V, Das AP, Kumar C, Bende PAR, Prabhakar KK, et al. Black start experiences for 400 kV hydro power plant In Western Regional Grid of India. 2016 National Power Systems Conference (NPSC). 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/NPSC.2016.7858948
- Gartia A, Pandey V, Das AP, Prajapati PK. Black start exerciseexperience and learning over past 7 years in Western Region, India.
- Raoot MG, Pentayya P, Mishra S, Patel H. Blackstart restoration plans for western region and case studies. Fifteenth National Power Systems Conference (NPSC),IIT Bombay; 2008.
- Central Electricity Authority, All India installed capacity [Internet]. Available from: https://cea.nic.in/installed-capacityreport/?lang=en
- Indian Electricity Grid Code [Internet]. 2010. Available from: https://cercind.gov.in/2016/regulation/9.pdf 6. Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission [MERC] state grid code [Internet]. 2020. Available from: https://www.merc.gov.in/faces/merc/common/outputClient.xhtml
- Maharashtra State Load Despatch Center, daily report [Internet]. Available from: https://mahasldc.in/home.php/daily-reports/
- Maharashtra State Power Generation Co. Ltd. Installed Capacity [Internet]. Available from: https://mahagenco.in/index.php/generation